News:

I'm just saying it's hypocritical to write "The Last DJ" and then do a Pepsi Budweiser Sobe Depends Claritin Prozac GoDaddy StateFarm Coca-Cola Coors Vitamin Water Attends Allegra Xanax 1-800-Safe-auto RC Cola Miller Gatorade Huggies Robotussin Morphine Halftime Show.

Main Menu

Banned and Challenged Books

Started by Beefy, July 04, 2006, 12:34:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Ubiquity

Brave New World. Aldous Huxley. Harper. Banned in Ireland (1932). Removed from classroom in Miller, Mo. (1980). Challenged at the Yukon, Okla. High School (1988); challenged as required reading in the Corona-Norco, Calif. Unified School District (1993) because the book "centered around negative activity."

need a better reason to ban a book other than negative activity. 
If the simple statement negative activity is good enough, most every book published will need banned.

High school itself is surrounded by negative activity.
"if I wank to it, will u feel disgusted or flattered or a perverse combo of both?"

Mr. Ubiquity

interesting list.  most of the books that they seem to want banned are books that would be deemed as classics.

This list makes me wWANT to buy and read all those books just for the reason that someone thinks they need to be banned.
"if I wank to it, will u feel disgusted or flattered or a perverse combo of both?"

VikingJuice

Forever by Judy Blume was banned in my school because of one uptight parent thinking her kid wasn't ever going to need this information despite the fact that the mom worked in a Planned Parenthood Clinic!  http://www.judyblume.com/forever.html

I sat on the book defense committee but in the end, our district superintendent showed his complete and total lack of balls and took it out.

Alice

QuoteGrapes of Wrath - John Steinbeck. Penguin; Viking. Burned by the St. Louis, Mo. Public Library (1939) on the grounds that "vulgar words" were used. Banned in Kansas City, Mo. (1939); Kern County, Calif., the scene of Steinbeck's novel, (1939); Ireland (1953); Kanawha, Iowa High School classes (1980); and Morris, Manitoba (1982). Challenged in the Greenville, S.C. schools (1991) because the book uses the name of God and Jesus in a "vain and profane manner along with inappropriate sexual references." I liked the turtle.

Why not just ban it because it's the most boring piece of crap ever written.

Mr. Ubiquity

Quote from: Alice on July 04, 2006, 11:40:37 PM
QuoteGrapes of Wrath - John Steinbeck. Penguin; Viking. Burned by the St. Louis, Mo. Public Library (1939) on the grounds that "vulgar words" were used. Banned in Kansas City, Mo. (1939); Kern County, Calif., the scene of Steinbeck's novel, (1939); Ireland (1953); Kanawha, Iowa High School classes (1980); and Morris, Manitoba (1982). Challenged in the Greenville, S.C. schools (1991) because the book uses the name of God and Jesus in a "vain and profane manner along with inappropriate sexual references." I liked the turtle.

because people are lazy and feel its better to exercise their right to oppress someone then to use their own judgement and center it to themselves.

a book is the same as a tv.   if you dont like what you see or what your reading, then turn it off or put it away.   

ReBurn

I have to agree with you there.
11:42:24 [Gamplayerx] I keep getting knocked up.
11:42:28 [Gamplayerx] Er. OUT!

Alice

Quote from: ReBurn on July 05, 2006, 07:27:54 AM

I have to agree with you there.
Most people would.  Stupid Steinbeck.  GET A JOB!