News:

Do you all even read these?

Main Menu

Book signing in an hour!

Started by dazie, June 12, 2006, 05:50:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dazie

"Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?"
I think so, Brain, but how will we get the Spice Girls into the paella?

Jessie

The first rule of the book signing...
we should have kept the quote pyramid up to rape Jessie in the face.

Gamplayerx

I wonder if he's as strange in person as his writing would suggest.

Beefy

Ooo look at me!  I'm self-consciously nihilistic!

dazie

A friend of mine went:

QuoteI attended Rainy Day Books' signing-and-reading event with Chuck Palahniuk, and it was divine. Imagine being a Catholic and having the Pope officiate at your wedding. Imagine being a fifteen-year-old boy and getting to stick your thumb up Jenna Jameson's ass. Yeah. It was that great.

For one thing, it was encouraging to hear him talk about his first *real* writing group, the one where his mentor took him aside one night, after a bout of heavy drinking, and said, "Chuck, you can't write worth shit, but you tell a hell of a story. If you could just write like you talk. . . ." and the rest is history. Because I can't make up a good story to save my life. Oh, I can tell one, and tell it masterfully, but it has to be something that I or someone else lived through. Hearing Chuck (and after meeting this mellow, infinitely friendly and patient guy, you really can't refer to him as "Mr. Palahniuk") talk about how almost all of his writing is drawn from the true, funny, revolting, entertaining stories people have related to him gave me hope that I can, indeed, be a successful writer without being able to weave a plot out of whole cloth.

cnamon

QuoteImagine being a fifteen-year-old boy and getting to stick your thumb up Jenna Jameson's ass. Yeah. It was that great.

1)  It would be a loose, vast wasteland...that hole has serviced more than McDonald's
2)  That sentence leaves me confused and hurt.

dazie

Yeah- not what I want MY 15 year old doing, but I understand what she was trying to say.