News:

A child can go only so far in life without potty training. It is not mere coincidence that six of the last seven presidents were potty trained, not to mention nearly half of the nation's state legislators.

Main Menu

Piedmont Blues

Started by Bishamonten, March 29, 2007, 03:51:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bishamonten

Nesh randomly found me a new guitar teacher who lives in the area.  Guy plays a lot of the music I'm interested in playing and focuses on Piedmont Blues, which is the style of blues I have had the least contact with( I'm more familiar with Delta Blues and Chicago Blues ).  The teacher has a masters in Music History and a great side effect of the lessons is he's introducing me to a lot of artists I've never been exposed to.  John Jackson, John Cephas, Blind Boy Fuller, Elizabeth Cotten, Memphis Minnie, and Reverent Gary Davis were in the last stack.  It's a bitch of a style to play on guitar since you have to keep a melody and bass line going at the same time, but it's really fulfilling to learn and get better at.  If anyone's interested, I'd be willing to throw together a mix and post it to the dump. 

Bennyhana

Quote from: Bishamonten on March 29, 2007, 03:51:43 PM
It's a bitch of a style to play on guitar since you have to keep a melody and bass line going at the same time, but it's really fulfilling to learn and get better at.

You should try classical.  I'd bet that one would make the other easier to pick up.

VikingJuice

Nesh randomly found me a new guitar teacher who lives in the area.  Guy plays a lot of the music I'm interested in playing and focuses on Piedmont Blues, which is the style of blues I have had the least contact with( I'm more familiar with Delta Blues and Chicago Blues ).  The teacher has a masters in Music History and a great side effect of the lessons is he's introducing me to a lot of artists I've never been exposed to.  John Jackson, John Cephas, Blind Boy Fuller, Elizabeth Cotten, Memphis Minnie, and Reverent Gary Davis were in the last stack.  It's a bitch of a style to play on guitar since you have to keep a melody and bass line going at the same time, but it's really fulfilling to learn and get better at.  If anyone's interested, I'd be willing to throw together a mix and post it to the dump. 

Totally do a mix, please.  I love blues!  I admit, I've never heard of those names you listed but like you, I'm much more familiar with Delta Blues and Chicago style stuff. 

PS.  Even though Robert Johnson's music sounds like it was recorded inside of a bathtub with an aluminum roof over it, it is still some of the finest quality blues that exists.

Bishamonten

Quote from: VikingJuice on March 29, 2007, 06:42:02 PM

Totally do a mix, please.  I love blues!  I admit, I've never heard of those names you listed but like you, I'm much more familiar with Delta Blues and Chicago style stuff. 

PS.  Even though Robert Johnson's music sounds like it was recorded inside of a bathtub with an aluminum roof over it, it is still some of the finest quality blues that exists.

I'll throw something together.

Robert Johnson, while talented and interesting and a great musician, is ultimately overrated.  He's famous because of Eric Clapton.  I'll take the men who influenced him( Son House, Charley Patton, Howlin Wolf ) over Johnson on most occasions.  This isn't to say he's not a fantastic musician.