News:

04/12/07 - Congrats to dots for snatching the real 200,000th post! Riding on her coattails, I guess we can spare some kudos to Jessie for the less real 200,000th post.

Main Menu

Stupid Cliches in Media you hate

Started by Dry then Catch, September 07, 2005, 01:19:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dry then Catch

There are certain idiotic devices in movies, TV, commercials and books that repeat themselves over and over.  It may be a special effects trick, comic relief or otherwise uncharacteristic line that spoils the whole thing and have been repeated ad naseum.  Yes repeated.  Much like my last two sentences. 

This has been discussed in various places in the past but NOT HERE DAMMIT.

1)  Kids who know about technology and the adults don't.
If i see one more shitty commercial where the dad is clueless as to use the computer or the DVD player and the infant presses a button (much to everyone's delight) I'm going to flip.

2)  Similarily, in sit-coms dad is always seen as lovable but dopey.  The humor at his expense is usually drawn by the "hip and with it" teen daughter only to be exacerbated by the wife.  If my kids pulled that shit on me, I'd go postal on their ass and the wife would need a restraining order.

3)  Old people smoking pot or drinking.  WHOOO ITS TIME TO ACT CRAZY AND OUT OF CHARACTER!!!!1111
and dance to generic hip hop

4)  Similiarly "religious" people laughing at inappropriate humor or suddenly cutting loose.  HURR Christians are supposed to beat their Bibles all the time and be intolerant DAMMIT.

ok i have more but continue with yours. 

meredith

"gentle giants" that everyone assumes are angry and violent until WHOA HEY HE'S PLAYING WITH A PUPPY

or similar you-thought-it-was-scary-but-it-really-isnt situations

ReBurn

I hate it when the newscasters say "Could it happen in our community?"
11:42:24 [Gamplayerx] I keep getting knocked up.
11:42:28 [Gamplayerx] Er. OUT!

ignom

I'm tired of sitcoms that use the cliche of not being funny or the least bit interesting.
Underneath this flabby exterior is an enormous lack of character.

DownSouth

Words I'm sick of hearing in the news.

chance
may
could happen
might
16:15:43 [Gamplayerx] Juneau, I could really go for some pie. You better Belize it!

Jessie

Quote from: DownSouth on September 07, 2005, 09:23:07 AM

chance
may
could happen
might

Could it happen here/to you/to your children/to your pets?

Tune in at 11!
we should have kept the quote pyramid up to rape Jessie in the face.

Mr. Ubiquity

Quote from: DownSouth on September 07, 2005, 09:23:07 AM

chance
may
could happen
might

This just in....

There is a chance that something may happen.  Probably not. but it could happen.  So it might.
"if I wank to it, will u feel disgusted or flattered or a perverse combo of both?"

ignom

You know what I'm sick of? Will it Float and other recurring segments on late-night talk shows that weren't amusing the first time.

Mr. Ubiquity

Quote from: ignom on September 07, 2005, 09:34:22 AM
You know what I'm sick of? Will it Float and other recurring segments on late-night talk shows that weren't amusing the first time.

easier to just state that late night talk shows are annoying in general.
"if I wank to it, will u feel disgusted or flattered or a perverse combo of both?"

ReBurn

Quote from: Marixis on September 07, 2005, 09:36:06 AM

I think in general they are funny, but in specific instances they are really annoying.  But that's just me.

ignom

I do think it's funny when Conan O'Brien occasionally still does "In the Year 2000."

Mr. Ubiquity

Quote from: ReBurninator on September 07, 2005, 09:48:42 AM
Quote from: Marixis on September 07, 2005, 09:36:06 AM

I think in general they are funny, but in specific instances they are really annoying.  But that's just me.

AGREED!!

Dry then Catch

I REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY

hate it when a character on a sit com passes a test or wins some trophy and people clap. WTFFFFFF

Listener

I always hated the "Dwight Lauderdale Story".

Dwight Lauderdale is a news anchor on WPLG Channel 10, the ABC affiliate in Miami.  My family was always a Channel 10 family -- Dwight Lauderdale, Ann Bishop, Don Noe with the weather, and Khambrel Marshall with sports.  But at least once every ratings book, Dwight Lauderdale would do a one-week (pre-recorded all in one day, I think) series of news stories about something that might possibly happen maybe.  Then he'd take a week off or something.

The most memorable was one summer when we had a rash of car-into-canal accidents.  Dwight did four days of stories on this, and on the fifth day, he got into a 4-door sedan and put it in neutral and a crew pushed it into a canal.  He had to get out with only the equipment in the vehicle.  This was before cell-phones, mind.

Now, I'm sure he had a scuba set in there just in case, but it was dramatic.

Looking back, though, it was stupid.  A blatant ratings stunt.

I hate that stuff.

Also, I hate when my local CBS affilate makes a news story out of a product they created, like CBS46togo, their mobile web portal.  That pisses me off.

sugar_grrl

Canned laughter in cartoons....if it's funny, it's funny....if it's not....don't make me want to smack you over the head with a frying pan because you put that DAMNED CANNED LAUGHTER in there.
Have you ever seen a llama kiss a llama on the llama?

cnamon

There is a woman that does the fluff pieces on Fox 5 DC named Holy Morris.  I hate her so much.  I think she does a line of crack then takes No Doze before each broadcast.  She annoys me.  She covers stuff like doggy fashion shows and shit.  Right now she is hunting for feel good stories in Houston.  Knowing her she will ask a stupid question that will piss someone off and they will punch her.  Hard.  In the throat.

Did I mention how much she annoys me?

ReBurn

Quote from: cnamon on September 07, 2005, 02:46:48 PM
Did I mention how much she annoys me?
Nope.  Why don't you explain it to us?

Kristine

I'm not a fan of the segments of "how many germs are there in the kitchen.... bathroom.... motel room"

Just.  Gross.

And sorta related, I wish stations would STOP putting their damn logo on the corner of the screen!!!
"There are two kinds of folks who sit around thinking about how to kill people..psychopaths and mystery writers." - Castle

ReBurn

They had a fireworks display to celebrate the opening of a bridge here.  One of the local channels superimposed ads they sold over the televised fireworks display.  I hate it when they do stuff like that.

cnamon

I hate that every time a plane crashes, if they determined it was an accident, they have to throw in "it was not terrorist related". 

I hate when ever there was a fire that was an accident, the newscaster has to throw in "it is believed not to be arson".

If you didn't say in the broadcast that it was terrorist or arson, you don't need to tell us it wasn't.  When we live in fear, the terrorist and arsonist win

Listener

I also hate when TV stations have TVs that the reporters stand in front of while they're doing reports.  They have over-the-shoulder chyron overlays.  Why not use those?  They look pretentious standing next to a 60-inch plasma TV that you know cost more than my monthly salary...

VikingJuice

This may just be me:

I hate the fact that every time I watch a video(and there are several different ones) of the Broncos winning the SuperBowl over the Green Bay Packers, there is this one clip that is really two that overlap.  When they show John Elway hoisting the Vince Lobardi Trophy in the air, the fireworks over his head are not REALLY there.  His back was facing a different part of the stadium and the fireworks had gone off about 8 minutes before this moment happened.  But as soon as it went to recap, the network overlapped the two images and did it in a shitty way that it looks totally fake!!  So now it appears that crappy ass looking fireworks are exploding over his head the moment he raises the trophy in triumph.

And I HAAAAATE continuity errors in movies.

In Friday Night Lights, a film set in 1987, many of the players are wearing new Nikes with Gel or air cushions in the heal, UnderArmour gear and Oakley visors on their helmets.  None of these things existed in 1987 and weren't common place on any football teams till the mid-90's and beyond.

dazie

I really dislike it when shows think that rude, crude, disgusting, racy or raunch = funny.  Pandering to the lowest common denominator only ensures people will stop thinking.

Give me Bob Newhart over anything that's currently on TV any day.
"Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?"
I think so, Brain, but how will we get the Spice Girls into the paella?

meredith

I hate it when guys get chicks in the sack too easily.  They should have to beg for ass just like the rest of us!!!

or is that just me?

dazie

Quote from: hattmoward on September 07, 2005, 05:13:18 PM
I hate it when guys get chicks in the sack too easily.  They should have to beg for ass just like the rest of us!!!

or is that just me?

It's just you.
"Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?"
I think so, Brain, but how will we get the Spice Girls into the paella?