News:

In spite of the cost of living, it's still quite popular.

Main Menu

Bob Barker's Last Price is Right

Started by Beefy, June 15, 2007, 05:23:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beefy

Quote from: Jessie on June 18, 2007, 12:08:55 PM
Quote from: Beefy on June 18, 2007, 12:06:00 PM
Quote from: CatchrNdRy on June 18, 2007, 11:55:57 AM
i really dont think you can find a better replacement than Al Roker

Won't happen.  Not after the epileptic thing.
I obviously missed something.

Al Roker was one of the loudest, most critical public faces/voices calling for Don Imus' firing after the stupid nappy headed ho comment.  Then, last week or maybe the week before, Al made a similar off hand remark about epileptics.  Many people feel that the same standard should be applied equally to both parties, and that if Imus was "rightfully" fired then Roker should be as well.  There's apparently a campaign of letter writing and such to get Roker kicked off the air now. 

Dry then Catch

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al_Roker#Controversy

lamest controversies ever

Jessie

Quote from: Beefy on June 18, 2007, 12:12:10 PM

Al Roker was one of the loudest, most critical public faces/voices calling for Don Imus' firing after the stupid nappy headed ho comment.  Then, last week or maybe the week before, Al made a similar off hand remark about epileptics.  Many people feel that the same standard should be applied equally to both parties, and that if Imus was "rightfully" fired then Roker should be as well.  There's apparently a campaign of letter writing and such to get Roker kicked off the air now. 
Is Ursus in on this?
we should have kept the quote pyramid up to rape Jessie in the face.

Beefy

Quote from: CatchrNdRy on June 18, 2007, 12:13:24 PM

To be fair, there is a real argument for equal treatment here.  Why is one not okay but the other okay?  Because of who said it?  I didn't like Imus, but I felt that mess was far more about people wanting to have a problem with something moreso than what he actually said.  Another opportunity to play the victim card and be offended about something.  If Roker was so vocal about Imus being out of line, then shouldn't he be held to his own "high" standards?

Dry then Catch

Quote from: Beefy on June 18, 2007, 12:19:47 PM

To be fair, there is a real argument for equal treatment here.  Why is one not okay but the other okay?  Because of who said it?  I didn't like Imus, but I felt that mess was far more about people wanting to have a problem with something moreso than what he actually said.  Another opportunity to play the victim card and be offended about something.  If Roker was so vocal about Imus being out of line, then shouldn't he be held to his own "high" standards?

Granted, I didn't view it first hand but from the wikipedia article like Roker was saying "hey that looks like blackface" as opposed to Imus's slurs.  Anyway, I don't think Imus should have been that railed aginst, "personalities" say worse shit all the time publically.  Its just easier to get away with against less represented/vocal groups. 

No one is more indignant about hypocrisy than modern Americans.  Maybe we should start cross-referencing every public statement made by celebrities to make certain they are morally upright and consistent. 

Beefy

Quote from: CatchrNdRy on June 18, 2007, 12:41:36 PM
Quote from: Beefy on June 18, 2007, 12:19:47 PM

Granted, I didn't view it first hand but from the wikipedia article like Roker was saying "hey that looks like blackface" as opposed to Imus's slurs.  Anyway, I don't think Imus should have been that railed aginst, "personalities" say worse shit all the time publically.  Its just easier to get away with against less represented/vocal groups. 

No one is more indignant about hypocrisy than modern Americans.  Maybe we should start cross-referencing every public statement made by celebrities to make certain they are morally upright and consistent. 

You shouldn't be able to apply a set rules to one person and not to another.  It's supposed to be equal, yes?  Like Paris going to jail - she got out early but the judge sent her back in because she shouldn't be held to a different standard than the rest of us.  Same thing here.

Besides, if you are a public figure and choose to vocally spout off about what some other public figure said that was morally dubious, you better well realize that many people are going to be watching and listening to you, waiting for you to do the same.  And so they should.  Don't play the outrage card if you're not willing to play by the same rules you're so desperately trying to enforce.

Dry then Catch

No you are right, Roker should play by the same rules.  I just don't think his "infraction" was as incindiary as Imus's'ss.

Bennyhana

I think you're tiptoeing around the real truth here:  Don Imus should be the next host of The Price Is Right.

Beefy

Quote from: CatchrNdRy on June 18, 2007, 01:00:55 PM
No you are right, Roker should play by the same rules.  I just don't think his "infraction" was as incindiary as Imus's'ss.

I've considered that and you're probably right.  I think they were both made off handedly without any real thought, so in that sense I view them as being equal.  However, people are more apt to play the race card than the vibrating card.

Dry then Catch

Quote from: Beefy on June 18, 2007, 01:31:41 PM
Quote from: CatchrNdRy on June 18, 2007, 01:00:55 PM

I've considered that and you're probably right.  I think they were both made off handedly without any real thought, so in that sense I view them as being equal.  However, people are more apt to play the race card than the vibrating card.

there is a good joke about the vibrating card and say uhh jessie

dazie

Quote from: Jessie on June 18, 2007, 12:13:47 PM

Is Ursus in on this?

What? 

I doubt it. 
"Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?"
I think so, Brain, but how will we get the Spice Girls into the paella?

Jessie

Quote from: dazie on June 19, 2007, 10:06:17 AM
Quote from: Jessie on June 18, 2007, 12:13:47 PM

Is Ursus in on this?

What? 

I doubt it. 
I don't.

Those epileptics, they are always sticking together on stuff like this.

They all look alike, too.
we should have kept the quote pyramid up to rape Jessie in the face.