News:

"I'd rather regret the things I have done than the things I have not." --Lucille Ball

Main Menu

belle and sebastian

Started by Dry then Catch, September 09, 2005, 01:07:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dry then Catch

I was at the used record store (you know the type where you need at least 5 piercings and tattoos to work at) and instead of the usual avant garge Nordic rock they play, there was a sweet melodic, yet indie sounding acoustic type band.

I asked the butch and probably bisexual yet cute clerk (wearing a sarcastic t-shirt natch), what was playing and she said "Belle and Sebastian".  I refrained from qupping "shouldn't it be Ariel and Sebastian, or Belle and the Beast".  Anyway, its great, more or less sounds like Death Cab for Cutie, but with more of a British feel. 

BTW, I hate buying CDs from places like that, I feel the clerks always think I'm a tool for the bands i buy.  I gotta stop going there with a polo shirt and khakis. 

Dry then Catch

BTW,
I bought Death Cab For Cutie, a 2 CD set of unreleased Fountains of Wayne, a remastered CD version of bootleg Toad the Wet Sprocket concerts from '92 and said CD.  Pleased with all. 

are therre any requests for me to dump it

Beefy

I don't know, are you done stereotyping yet or do you need to finish your bowl of rice?

ignom

Barry: Holy shite. What the fuck is that?
Dick: It's the new Belle and Sebastian...
Rob: It's a record we've been listening to and enjoying, Barry.
Barry: Well, that's unfortunate, because it sucks ass.

You knew I'd go there.
Underneath this flabby exterior is an enormous lack of character.

Beefy

Quote from: ignom on September 09, 2005, 07:26:18 AM

You knew I'd go there.

Go where?

ignom

Quote from: Beefy on September 09, 2005, 07:27:23 AM

You knew I'd go there.

Go where?

High Fidelity
Underneath this flabby exterior is an enormous lack of character.

Dry then Catch

Quote from: Beefy on September 09, 2005, 06:43:19 AM
I don't know, are you done stereotyping yet or do you need to finish your bowl of rice?

no im never done stereotyping especially at a used record place where they are asking to be stereotyped much like a drunk, semi-attractive college freshman desperately craving and meaning in her life is asking for roofies.

btw i am eating noodles you racist bastard

Beefy

Quote from: CatchrNdRy on September 09, 2005, 12:41:50 PM
Quote from: Beefy on September 09, 2005, 06:43:19 AM

no im never done stereotyping especially at a used record place where they are asking to be stereotyped much like a drunk, semi-attractive college freshman desperately craving and meaning in her life is asking for roofies.

btw i am eating noodles you racist bastard

My first honest chuckle of the day.  Thanks.

Bishamonten

B&S is, aside from being one of the more enigmatic brit-indie acts, a damn good listen.  Tigermilk, If you're feeling sinister, and boy with the arab strap are all great albums. 

Death Cab is getting a bit too mainstream and frankly, I blame the fucking OC because they had to try to lend indie-cred to their main character.  We've Got the Facts, and Photo Album are great great works, but their latest album isn't too much to scream about. 

Check out Built to Spill and Guided by Voices

Dry then Catch

Here in lies the caveat, I would never have gotten to enjoy Death Cab if not for its main stream success.  Much like Arizona, as soon as its discovered people want to shut it down and not let others in.

Guided I like, but seems really inconsistent, from the songs I hear. 

Beefy

I like the new Death Cab, though it's not as good as TransAtlanticism.

I have copies of two Belle & Sebastian albums but have never listened to either.

Built to Spill is peachy and coming here with The Decemberists.  I still haven't decided if I should go to that show or Doves (same night).

Dry then Catch

the decmeberists are coming here too.  i have no idea what they are like so i ignored the poster.  but apparently not enough to forget that i saw it. 

Beefy

Quote from: CatchrNdRy on September 09, 2005, 02:14:22 PM
the decmeberists are coming here too.  i have no idea what they are like so i ignored the poster.  but apparently not enough to forget that i saw it. 

You wouldn't like them; too caucasian for you.

Dry then Catch

Quote from: Beefy on September 09, 2005, 03:25:05 PM
Quote from: CatchrNdRy on September 09, 2005, 02:14:22 PM

You wouldn't like them; too caucasian for you.

you're right i do tend to have a very ethnic taste in music.

Number 6

Quote from: Beefy on September 09, 2005, 01:24:49 PM
Built to Spill is peachy and coming here with The Decemberists.  I still haven't decided if I should go to that show or Doves (same night).

boy thats a tough one.....but i think Doves take it....

Beefy

Quote from: Number 6 on September 09, 2005, 04:50:24 PM

That's the way I'm leaning currently.  Decemberists and BTS are still somewhat new to me, whereas Doves have toured through Houston for each of their albums and I have yet to go see them.  I'm not sure how Houston makes it on their radar to begin with.  I should go before my luck runs out.

SockmonkeyHolocaust

Belle and Sebastian have been around for close to a decade, I think it's more like DCFC sounds like them.

Number 6

Quote from: Beefy on September 09, 2005, 04:52:19 PM
Quote from: Number 6 on September 09, 2005, 04:50:24 PM

That's the way I'm leaning currently.  Decemberists and BTS are still somewhat new to me, whereas Doves have toured through Houston for each of their albums and I have yet to go see them.  I'm not sure how Houston makes it on their radar to begin with.  I should go before my luck runs out.

i've seen all three and by far doves is amazing live....don't get me wrong Built To Spill and decemberments are both tons of fun....but Doves just offers more

ReBurn

I need to go check the dump and look for some of this stuff.  I don't think I've ever heard any of it.  Execpt for Decemberists, which I once retrieved from the dump.
11:42:24 [Gamplayerx] I keep getting knocked up.
11:42:28 [Gamplayerx] Er. OUT!

Dry then Catch

i'll put them in the dump as soon as im done painting the bathroom

Beefy

Quote from: CatchrNdRy on September 10, 2005, 03:34:39 PM
i'll put them in the dump as soon as im done painting the bathroom

You have my deepest sympathies.

Mr. Ubiquity

Quote from: ignom on September 09, 2005, 07:28:38 AM
Quote from: Beefy on September 09, 2005, 07:27:23 AM

You knew I'd go there.

Go where?

High Fidelity

damn good movie

someone start a top 5 thread.
"if I wank to it, will u feel disgusted or flattered or a perverse combo of both?"

Beefy

Quote from: Marixis on September 11, 2005, 01:04:57 AM
damn good movie

someone start a top 5 thread.

Lazy ass.  You do it.

Mr. Ubiquity

you the one whos going for the guiness record of thread creation.. you do it.
"if I wank to it, will u feel disgusted or flattered or a perverse combo of both?"

ReBurn

You're confusing Beefy with Jessie.  You'd be surprised at how often that happens.
11:42:24 [Gamplayerx] I keep getting knocked up.
11:42:28 [Gamplayerx] Er. OUT!