News:

04/12/07 - Congrats to dots for snatching the real 200,000th post! Riding on her coattails, I guess we can spare some kudos to Jessie for the less real 200,000th post.

Main Menu

Hard Candy

Started by Alice, April 11, 2007, 08:43:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alice

Wow.  This is one effed up movie.

I really liked it.  Probably 4 out of 5 stars.

ReBurn

I want to see it, but I feel like a perv every time I go to rent it.
11:42:24 [Gamplayerx] I keep getting knocked up.
11:42:28 [Gamplayerx] Er. OUT!

Alice

Quote from: ReBurn on April 11, 2007, 08:50:20 AM
I want to see it, but I feel like a perv every time I go to rent it.
Don't.  You should totally watch it.  Or join Netflix and not worry about it.

ReBurn

It's on pay-per-view. I guess I could also go that route.

Alice

Quote from: ReBurn on April 11, 2007, 08:53:53 AM
It's on pay-per-view. I guess I could also go that route.
Don't watch it in front of the kids.  :)  Not like you didn't know that already.

Jessie

Did I see this?  Or is it in my queue? Sounds familiar, I have to go look now.
we should have kept the quote pyramid up to rape Jessie in the face.

Alice

Quote from: Jessie on April 11, 2007, 09:52:48 AM
Did I see this?  Or is it in my queue? Sounds familiar, I have to go look now.
According to Netflix, you've not seen it and it's not in your queue.

Jessie

Alice

Quote from: Jessie on April 11, 2007, 09:55:19 AM
It is now!
Awesome.  Remind me to talk to you about it when you see it.

Jessie

Alice

Quote from: Jessie on April 20, 2007, 11:31:30 PM
Completely effed up.
Did you like it?  Or was it too effed up for you to like?

Jessie

No, I definitely liked it. 

I wish she had really castrated him, and I think that her being a friend of the murder victim took some of the horror out of it.  I actually liked it better when I thought she was just out to torture a pedo.

It was good, though. 

swolt

it's now on my blockbuster queue
A clever man commits no minor blunders.

VikingJuice

I read about this over a year ago and kept waiting for it to get released.  I guess it slipped under my radar for the theatre.  Looked very interesting.

Alice

Quote from: Jessie on April 22, 2007, 09:36:32 AM
No, I definitely liked it. 

I wish she had really castrated him, and I think that her being a friend of the murder victim took some of the horror out of it.  I actually liked it better when I thought she was just out to torture a pedo.

It was good, though. 
Yeah, I felt that way too.  But I suppose I can deal with the fact that she was. 

Dry then Catch

I found it sort of preachy, and I sort of wanted Kitty Pryde to die.  Yes I felt like that movie made me side with a pedophile.

Alice

Quote from: CatchrNdRy on April 30, 2007, 09:15:20 PM
I found it sort of preachy, and I sort of wanted Kitty Pryde to die.  Yes I felt like that movie made me side with a pedophile.
Preachy?  Really?

And did you get the X-men version of this movie?

Jessie

I don't think I got a preachy vibe from it.

It was so...it didn't really have a clear cut antagonist or protagonist, I think.  For me, that'd make it hard for me to see it as preachy.

Alice

Quote from: Jessie on May 01, 2007, 08:44:37 AM

It was so...it didn't really have a clear cut antagonist or protagonist, I think.  For me, that'd make it hard for me to see it as preachy.
That was the odd part for me too - was that I kept flipping back and forth.  There was no hero, they were both kind of the "bad guy" and kind of not.  Plus the fact that I found him attractive really grossed me out.

Jessie

Quote from: Alice on May 01, 2007, 08:47:01 AM

That was the odd part for me too - was that I kept flipping back and forth.  There was no hero, they were both kind of the "bad guy" and kind of not.  Plus the fact that I found him attractive really grossed me out.

I saw a dude that looked A LOT like him the day after I saw it.  It skeeved me out a bit.

Alice

I should clarify - his character wasn't attractive, but I find him physically attractive.

Jessie

Quote from: Alice on May 01, 2007, 08:49:10 AM
I should clarify - his character wasn't attractive, but I find him physically attractive.
Suuuure, pedo-lover.

Dry then Catch

they should have a standard "To Catch a Predator" type play the villian.  Not an successful, attractive Bohemenian photographer.  I think it would have made it more realistic. 

Has anyone seen Mysterious Skin?  It takes the child exploitation in a different and more effective direction.  And had a good ensemble cast. 

Was  Sandra Oh just doing a favor for a friend in Hard Candy?

Jessie

Quote from: CatchrNdRy on May 01, 2007, 12:03:14 PM

they should have a standard "To Catch a Predator" type play the villian.  Not an successful, attractive Bohemenian photographer.  I think it would have made it more realistic. 

Has anyone seen Mysterious Skin?  It takes the child exploitation in a different and more effective direction.  And had a good ensemble cast. 

Was  Sandra Oh just doing a favor for a friend in Hard Candy?

http://www.juntoonline.com/forum/index.php?topic=11614.0

Alice

Not all pedos are uggos.

Dry then Catch

Quote from: Alice on May 01, 2007, 12:17:59 PM
Not all pedos are uggos.

find me an attractive one on state sex offender resgistries or "To Catch a Predator". 

Alice

With a different hair cut, this guy could probably be really cute.

Alice

This guy isn't bad:

Beefy

Dry then Catch

They would participate the Sex Offender Beauty Paegeant.

They are young and not initially creepy.  But they are no they are no Lensman319, aka Patrick Wilson. 

Jessie

Beefy

Just saw it last night.  Disappointing.  Great performances, though.  And the most uncomfortable opening 20-something minutes I've sat through in a while.

Dry then Catch

Quote from: Beefy on June 18, 2007, 11:22:05 AM
Just saw it last night.  Disappointing.  Great performances, though.  And the most uncomfortable opening 20-something minutes I've sat through in a while.

what disappointed you about it?

Jessie

What about that one scene?  You know the one.  Eep.

Alice

Quote from: Jessie on June 18, 2007, 11:45:28 AM
What about that one scene?  You know the one.  Eep.
Which one?  There were a few eep scenes for me.

Jessie

The one where she was operating.

Alice

Oh, yeah.  *shudder*

Beefy

Quote from: CatchrNdRy on June 18, 2007, 11:27:07 AM

After about 45 minutes it had nowhere left to go and nothing left to say.  The ending was pointless and by that time I was watching the clock.  It was a short film idea stretched out to 90 minutes.  Also, when the "big switch" happens early on and you realize what the film is going to be about, it loses some of its discomfort and urgency because you're no longer reflecting reality.  You stick with it for the acting, but it has nothing left to say.  And so it drags itself out.  Psychological torture only goes so far as motivation, and then I'm not even sure it wasn't all ultimately undermined by the end of the film.  I thought it would have been far more intriguing to screw up his head and make him live with it.

And the red hood riding through the forest, having just dealt with the wolf thing?  Ugh.

Also, I agree with Catchr in that after a while I was really hoping the story would twist again, the dude would take back control, and little Kitty Pryde would get hurt.  At least that would have been something beyond more of the same.

The castration scene didn't bother me because a) by that time I felt the film had made its intentions clear that this was about psychological torture, not physical, and b) I wasn't all that interested in the plot anymore because it wasn't going anywhere.

ReBurn

Quote from: Beefy on June 18, 2007, 12:04:51 PM

After about 45 minutes it had nowhere left to go and nothing left to say.  The ending was pointless and by that time I was watching the clock.  It was a short film idea stretched out to 90 minutes.  Also, when the "big switch" happens early on and you realize what the film is going to be about, it loses some of its discomfort and urgency because you're no longer reflecting reality.  You stick with it for the acting, but it has nothing left to say.  And so it drags itself out.  Psychological torture only goes so far as motivation, and then I'm not even sure it wasn't all ultimately undermined by the end of the film.  I thought it would have been far more intriguing to screw up his head and make him live with it.

And the red hood riding through the forest, having just dealt with the wolf thing?  Ugh.

Also, I agree with Catchr in that after a while I was really hoping the story would twist again, the dude would take back control, and little Kitty Pryde would get hurt.  At least that would have been something beyond more of the same.

The castration scene didn't bother me because a) by that time I felt the film had made its intentions clear that this was about psychological torture, not physical, and b) I wasn't all that interested in the plot anymore because it wasn't going anywhere.

Kitty Pryde was so much hotter in the comics.

Jessie

I agree about the ending.

Beefy

Quote from: ReBurn on June 18, 2007, 12:06:34 PM

Sluttier, too.  She totally would have done Lensman319.

Dry then Catch

Quote from: Beefy on June 18, 2007, 12:08:40 PM

phasing is the ultimate coitus interruptus

Beefy

Quote from: CatchrNdRy on June 18, 2007, 01:02:33 PM
Quote from: Beefy on June 18, 2007, 12:08:40 PM

phasing is the ultimate coitus interruptus

It occurs to me that further speculating about how one could incorporate that power into the intimate moments people share could lead to some horrifying ideas.