News:

3/12/05 5000th post provided by Bishamonten

Main Menu

Computer Problems

Started by Listener, September 06, 2005, 10:00:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Listener

If anyone's wondering where I've been...

I decided to try and download an *ahem* version of this game I really liked.  Caught a virus, screwed up my computer, now I need to reformat and reinstall Windows XP Pro.

Running a big backup right now; should have everything formatted and ready to start reinstalling by tonight.  I hope.

ReBurn

You should have called DownSouth.
11:42:24 [Gamplayerx] I keep getting knocked up.
11:42:28 [Gamplayerx] Er. OUT!

DownSouth

I could have had you up and running in no time.  Where's the on switch?
16:15:43 [Gamplayerx] Juneau, I could really go for some pie. You better Belize it!

meredith

Quote from: Listener on September 06, 2005, 10:00:51 AM
Caught a virus, screwed up my computer, now I need to reformat and reinstall Windows XP Pro.

You're reinstalling the virus?

Listener

Quote from: hattmoward on September 06, 2005, 10:19:12 AM
Quote from: Listener on September 06, 2005, 10:00:51 AM
Caught a virus, screwed up my computer, now I need to reformat and reinstall Windows XP Pro.

You're reinstalling the virus?

Oh Ha Ha.

I'm not smart enough to use Linux.  And I'm required by work to use IE because our webapp won't run on any other browser -- I know, that sucks, but what can you do...

Dry then Catch

why exactly couldn't any virus scanner remove it?

Listener

Quote from: CatchrNdRy on September 06, 2005, 11:16:31 AM
why exactly couldn't any virus scanner remove it?

The virus scanner did remove it.  But I also got a host of spyware and otherware, and when I removed all that, there was some sort of weird problem with explorer.exe that wouldn't allow me to open an IE window or Norton Antivirus, even though Kaspersky AV certified that I was virus-free.  So I ran a repair install of Windows XP Pro, but now my wireless card doesn't work and the entire machine runs REALLY slow on boot-up.  According to others who've had the same error with my particular wireless card, the easiest way to make it work is reformatting.

Better to just re-format and start from scratch.

ReBurn

Windows always slows down over time, so wiping it out and starting over is something I do quite often.
11:42:24 [Gamplayerx] I keep getting knocked up.
11:42:28 [Gamplayerx] Er. OUT!

Listener

Quote from: ReBurn Connick, Jr. on September 06, 2005, 12:16:27 PM
Windows always slows down over time, so wiping it out and starting over is something I do quite often.

It's been 6 months since my last reformat.

I think they do that on purpose so you have to buy a new compy and they get more money.