News:

20,000th post winners: ReBurninator and Dazie. Enjoy your diseases!

Main Menu

Got any Chemistry Questions?

Started by nallen, April 15, 2005, 04:15:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eo000

Quote from: DownSouth on April 15, 2005, 05:12:15 PM
Are you dating Les or just a fuck buddy?
Do you ever let Sheng Sheng join in, or is he just the camera man?

DownSouth

I thought Sheng Sheng was the pimp.
16:15:43 [Gamplayerx] Juneau, I could really go for some pie. You better Belize it!

nallen

Quote from: DownSouth on April 15, 2005, 05:12:15 PM
Are you dating Les or just a fuck buddy?

Are you lookin' for a date?
May the Magic Plastic bless you and keep you.

Gamplayerx

Do ph and alkaline fall under the umbrella of organic chemistry?  'Cause we're opening the pool soon and I've got questions!

nallen

Quote from: Gamplayerx on April 15, 2005, 07:39:36 PM
Do ph and alkaline fall under the umbrella of organic chemistry?  'Cause we're opening the pool soon and I've got questions!

Sure does.  pH is the -log of the hydrogen cation concentration, Alkaline is a pH greater than neutral, which is pH=7.

Gamplayerx

Quote from: nallen on April 15, 2005, 07:48:38 PM

Sure does.  pH is the -log of the hydrogen cation concentration, Alkaline is a pH greater than neutral, which is pH=7.

Okay.  Here's basically the sum and substance of my knowledge.  Johnson's baby shampoo doesn't sting your eyes because it's the same ph as your eyes.  Which also means that it's really not good for your hair because it strips it or something.  So, I have these test strips for the pool and I'm supposed to keep the chlorine making the chlorine test pad purple and the ph making the ph test pad orange and the alkaline making the alkaline test pad green.  But what does that mean?

nallen

Quote from: Gamplayerx on April 15, 2005, 07:52:55 PM
Quote from: nallen on April 15, 2005, 07:48:38 PM

Okay.  Here's basically the sum and substance of my knowledge.  Johnson's baby shampoo doesn't sting your eyes because it's the same ph as your eyes.  Which also means that it's really not good for your hair because it strips it or something.  So, I have these test strips for the pool and I'm supposed to keep the chlorine making the chlorine test pad purple and the ph making the ph test pad orange and the alkaline making the alkaline test pad green.  But what does that mean?

pH for a pool should be between 7.2-7.6, ideally 7.4-7.6, the indicator used is typically phenol red, and you just need to get the color right.

Free chlorine is the oxidative potential of the water from free chlorine (or hypochlorite) aka sanitizer.  This is what does the killing of the nasties, be sure to add it in the evening because the sun light will break it down before it has a chance to kill everything.  Too high and it will destroy your hair real nice like. 

Alkaline level is not actually pH related in this case, rather it is the hardness of the water.  This is actually related to the pH, if the water is too soft, meaning it doesn't have many alkaline earth metals in it (we're talking Calcium here really)  If it's too low the water will leach calcium out of the concrete that makes up the pool.  That would be bad in the long run don't ya think?  You just need a high enough hardness (aka alkaline) to keep that from happening.  If your water comes from wells (that is the munciple water supply) chances are it's plenty hard. 

Gamplayerx

We have a well.  Our water is nasty and very high in calcium and iron.  But we don't put that in the pool if we can help it.  We get city water trucked in or hope for rain.

nallen

Quote from: Gamplayerx on April 15, 2005, 08:28:54 PM
We have a well.  Our water is nasty and very high in calcium and iron.  But we don't put that in the pool if we can help it.  We get city water trucked in or hope for rain.

I thought you lived in a city?  But this is something a country dweller would say.  I am the confused.  Do you have that neat electricity we all talk so much about?

ReBurn

Is it difficult to manufacture crystal meth?  And are there any other good side jobs for a chemist?
11:42:24 [Gamplayerx] I keep getting knocked up.
11:42:28 [Gamplayerx] Er. OUT!

Gamplayerx

Quote from: nallen on April 15, 2005, 08:37:26 PM
Quote from: Gamplayerx on April 15, 2005, 08:28:54 PM

I thought you lived in a city?  But this is something a country dweller would say.  I am the confused.  Do you have that neat electricity we all talk so much about?

I live in a city.  A small city.  But my community didn't tie in to the city water, so we all have wells.  We have public sewer, though.  Basically about 2 blocks away, they have city water.  I miss city water.  Wells suck.  At least, wells that aren't up in the Rockies or something suck.  Did I mention that I don't care for wells?  'Cause I don't!

Gamplayerx

Did you know that if you type the word wells enough it starts to look funny? 

I now realize that neither this post nor my previous post contained a chemistry question, so, um, what's the atomic weight of thulium?

nallen

Quote from: ReBurninator on April 15, 2005, 08:40:18 PM
Is it difficult to manufacture crystal meth?  And are there any other good side jobs for a chemist?

It's easy!  Take a bunch of sudefed, and react it with some thionyl chloride, reduce it with your favorite hydride source, and acidify.  Bob's your Uncle!

There are always good side jobs in the neighborhood for a creative and discreate chemist.

nallen

Quote from: Gamplayerx on April 15, 2005, 08:52:17 PM
Did you know that if you type the word wells enough it starts to look funny? 

I now realize that neither this post nor my previous post contained a chemistry question, so, um, what's the atomic weight of thulium?

168.  Notice the AIM login?  thulium168?  :)  Ain't I clever?

Gamplayerx

Hey!  You got a South Park avatar!  Yay!!!

Yes, you're very clever.  And sweet.  Sugary, in fact.

nallen

Quote from: Gamplayerx on April 15, 2005, 09:01:55 PM
Hey!  You got a South Park avatar!  Yay!!!

Yes, you're very clever.  And sweet.  Sugary, in fact.

I figured it was time to get with the program.  I'm a slacker I know....

Infobahn

Lather, Rinse, Repeat?  Do you need to repeat?

nallen