News:

In spite of the cost of living, it's still quite popular.

Main Menu

Well, my computer finally committed suicide...again

Started by ignom, April 14, 2005, 08:05:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ignom

It worked when I got home. After I took a shower, it was DOA. It wouldn't start up, and the hard drive started making beeping noises, which it did last time I had to take it to the shop (and I had to get a new hard drive).

I ran disk repair, and it said the hard drive was OK. It still wouldn't start up. And it kept making beeping noises.

I erased the hard drive and tried to reinstall OS X, but it only made it halfway. When I tried to do it again, even the CD I was was freezing up. The whole time I was trying to reinstall, it was making those beeping noises.

I'm taking it to the shop today. This means that in the two iBooks I've had, I've gone through six hard drives. That's just not right.
Underneath this flabby exterior is an enormous lack of character.

ReBurn

Are you the only person that has trouble with macs?
11:42:24 [Gamplayerx] I keep getting knocked up.
11:42:28 [Gamplayerx] Er. OUT!

eo000

shitty. Is work gonna let you use a loaner again?

ignom

Quote from: eo000 on April 14, 2005, 08:07:01 AM
shitty. Is work gonna let you use a loaner again?

No, the computer I had last time is being used by someone else.

Infobahn

ignom

I don't want to go home. At least you all can spend the rest of the night making fun of me.

eo000

Jessie

I hope they fix it right this time. 

Imagine all the reading that will be here waiting in the morning.

Speaking of that, I think I'm going to work non-stop for two hours tomorrow.  That's my plan.  8-10 is work time for me tomorrow.  We'll see how that works out.
we should have kept the quote pyramid up to rape Jessie in the face.

cnamon

Quote from: jessie on April 14, 2005, 04:58:16 PM

Speaking of that, I think I'm going to work non-stop for two hours tomorrow.  That's my plan.  8-10 is work time for me tomorrow.  We'll see how that works out.
Are you mad woman??

Jessie

Quote from: cnamon on April 14, 2005, 04:58:55 PM
Quote from: jessie on April 14, 2005, 04:58:16 PM

Are you mad woman??

A little, and I am also a little behind.  I've got to get this month's taxes done.
we should have kept the quote pyramid up to rape Jessie in the face.

Mr. SM Holocaust

Quote from: ignom on April 14, 2005, 04:30:08 PM
I don't want to go home. At least you all can spend the rest of the night making fun of me.

A decent Dell is ridiculously inexpensive these days.

Infobahn

Yet, I always want the pumped up Dell Mac.

nallen

Damn that's odd.   I've had 2 iBooks, a G3 iMac, a G4 iMac, and now I have a PowerBook, all of them have never had a hard drive go bad.   One of the iBooks even survived my lab fire.   Crazy.    Which kind of iBook is it?
May the Magic Plastic bless you and keep you.

ReBurn

The kind that breaks every time you throw a quarter at it.
11:42:24 [Gamplayerx] I keep getting knocked up.
11:42:28 [Gamplayerx] Er. OUT!

Gamplayerx

Quote from: ignom on April 14, 2005, 04:30:08 PM
At least you all can spend the rest of the night making fun of me.

What's wrong with you people?  Hurry up and start making fun of ignom before he gets himself to a working computer!

ignom

Oh, glorious internets, humbly I return to you.

ignom

Quote from: nallen on April 14, 2005, 07:43:54 PM
Damn that's odd.   I've had 2 iBooks, a G3 iMac, a G4 iMac, and now I have a PowerBook, all of them have never had a hard drive go bad.   One of the iBooks even survived my lab fire.   Crazy.    Which kind of iBook is it?

My old one was a G3 iBook, this one is a G4. I haven't even had it a year yet.

nishi

i would start writing some letters - first, to the management of the place where you're getting these and having them repaired. after that, i'd start working my way up in the mac universe.

letters are much more powerful than phone calls. and as far as legitimate complaints are concerned, emails are useless.

but this should not be happening. especially when they're doing the repairs.
"we left the motherland to settle a colony on Juntoo.  hats with belt buckles."
-catchr

<- this is a prankapple.

ignom

Well, ok, if you really want to, you can start writing letters.

DownSouth

16:15:43 [Gamplayerx] Juneau, I could really go for some pie. You better Belize it!

ignom

The guy from CompUSA called and left a message saying that Apple sent back the computer without even looking at the hard drive, and they said the ethernet something was broken. WTF? I didn't take it to the shop because I was having problems with the ethernet.

The guy said he sent it back saying to fix the hard drive.

It's been two weeks already, and they didn't even attempt fixing my computer. Now I have to wait god knows how long for them to fix a problem they didn't even look at before, and which they didn't fix properly three months ago.

And the ethernet better damn well work when I get my computer back.

I think it's time to put the Automatic Complaint Letter Generator to good use.

Beefy

ignom

I'm using my dad's old compaq, to which nallen graciously supplied a copy of Win2K.

kelbel

I have had a new computer sitting on my desk for at least two months now waiting to get hooked up. My old one is suppose to just be for posting and my new one for doing my daily duties. By the time they hook it up it will be obsolete. They f*cked up the cables on this last call. It should of been a USB cable and it was not.

Good luck to you IGGY.
:)

nishi

Quote from: ignom on April 15, 2005, 08:28:21 AM
Well, ok, if you really want to, you can start writing letters.

give me a brief point by point history of this piece of shit they have sold you and i'll write your letter. gleefully. i live for this kind of thing. my raison d'etre.....
-catchr

<- this is a prankapple.

ignom

The backstory is that my last ibook (bought from either macmall.com or clubmac.com, I forget which) had to go to the shop on two separate occasions to have the hard drive replaced, when it went out the third time, I just gave up on it.

I bought this computer at CompUSA  around a year ago (it hadn't even been a year when it went in the shop this time. I have a three-year AppleCare Warranty). It worked fine until December, and in January, after the hard drive went out the first time, I took it in to get fixed. Supposedly, they "fixed" it, but it was freezing up and crashing alot and making weird noises.

Then programs quit working. I was using Mozilla and it quit working. I started using IE, and it quit working. Then I switched to Safari, and finally the computer died and wouldn't restart OSX. I tried to reinstall and even reformat, but it quit halfway though.

Whenever I would try to startup the computer, the hard drive or something would make beeping noises. (It also did this the last time the hard drive crashed, that's how I knew what the problem was. The first time it happened, customer support tried to tell me it was the cdrom making the beeping noises, but it wasn't).

So, I took it back to the shop and explained exactly what was wrong. The guy at CompUSA mailed it off. I never heard back until yesterday. Like I wrote before, he said Apple sent it back to him without fixing the hard drive, and they said the ethernet  plug was broken. I don't know why they were even looking at the ethernet, I hadn't said anything was wrong with it. Now they say it's broken and that it isn't covered under my warranty.

He left a message saying he shipped it back to Apple telling them to fix the hard drive.

Also, I had the guy at CompUSA send my AC adaptor with it because it is messing up. I have been through three adaptors on my two ibooks. They seem to break and short out easily, and they cost like $80 each.

Also, my battery that is supposed to have a four-hour life goes dead after about fifteen minutes. The CompUSA guy said he would put that in the notes also, but he didn't mention that when he left the message.

I tried calling him back yesterday afternoon, but he was already gone for the day, and the other people in the tech department apparently arent very smart.

nishi

here's the rough draft. anyone and everyone is welcome and encouraged to make changes and suggestions. so we can keep the draft clean, please select the sentence you're editing and post that with your comments in a new post.

<<Greetings.

I am writing directly to you to express my frustration and complete dissatisfaction with the service I have experienced with Macintosh products.

I bought my first ibook (insert model) (number) years ago and owned it for (number) years/months. During that time, it was in the shop on two separate occasions to have the hard drive replaced (was this under warrenty, Jason? If so, let's add that). When the hard drive tanked for the third time, I just gave up on the machine.

I purchased my current ibook (model) around a year ago at CompUSA, with a three-year AppleCare Warranty. The computer worked well until January, when the hard drive went out (for the first time). I returned the machine to CompUSA for repair; when it was returned to me as having been repaired, it was 'working', but would often freeze up, crashed a lot, and made odd sounds.

Then applications stopped running. I was using Mozilla, and it quit. I started using IE, and it quit. I switched to Safari (did it quit too?). Finally the computer completely died and wouldn't restart OSX. I attempted a reinstall and even a complete reformat, but it quit halfway through (the reinstall? The reformat?). Whenever I would try to start the computer, the hard drive would make beeping noises.

To say that I was frustrated at this point would be such a ridiculous understatement that it barely needs mentioning. However, I understand that machines sometimes go wrong – that's why I have a warranty.

I took it back to the shop and explained exactly what was wrong. The person at CompUSA mailed it off (I need a time frame for how long ago this was). I finally heard back from them yesterday. He told me that Apple had returned the computer to him without fixing the hard drive; they said the Ethernet plug was broken. I'm unsure why they were even looking at the Ethernet plug – as far as I know, there wasn't anything wrong with it. Yet. However, Apple says that it's broken and the plug isn't covered under my warranty.

The representative from CompUSA left me a message saying that he has reshipped the computer back to Apple, with a note to them to fix the hard drive.

I also had the rep at CompUSA send my AC adaptor with it – there have been problems with it as well. I have been through three adaptors on my two ibooks. They seem to break and short out easily – since they cost about $80 a piece, this is becoming something of a cash-suck.

Additionally, my battery that is supposed to have a four-hour life goes dead after about fifteen minutes. The CompUSA representative said he would put that in the notes that went back to Apple with the computer, but I'm beginning to wonder if the notes are even being read. (tempting to insert something about how hard drive and Ethernet plug both have "e"s and "h"s in them, although there the similarity ends.... But I will resist)

I am unsure of the problem. Apple makes great computers. That's why I keep buying them. I have a warranty that should be covering all these issues, but even if I didn't – the computer was less than a year old when things started going wrong with it. This is not the kind of product that Apple presents to the public and it's not at all what I expect from a mac. I expect reliability, longevity, ease of use and topnotch customer service. My expectations have not been met.

I would like to have this ibook completely replaced as I am not currently confident in the repair arm of your customer service team, and this computer is way too new to need this much work. I would also like some kind of explanation – a real explanation – about why associated things that should be working (the AC adaptor, the battery) are not working as they should be.

I would also like some kind of assurance that my faith in Apple products and service are still well-founded. That somehow I got a mediocre machine and then some kind of fluke error on the service end let me down. I have stood by your products – even purchasing another ibook after my previous machine had not performed well – and I hope that Apple still has a policy of standing by its customers. Currently, I am not experiencing that, but I am very much hoping that is a small blip on the radar or something.
>>
-catchr

<- this is a prankapple.

cnamon

Carol, you could make big bucks doing that.  Well done.

nishi

Quote from: cnamon on May 04, 2005, 09:56:27 AM
Carol, you could make big bucks doing that.  Well done.

if there is a company that writes letters of complaint... let me at 'em!
-catchr

<- this is a prankapple.

ignom

That sounds really good!

I was looking on the Apple website trying to find who I should send it to. I'd like to find several Apple associates to send it to. I was hoping I would find the names of specific people.

I'll probably also send it to the GM of the CompUSA where I bought it, as well as someone in CompUSA's corporate office.

I might add something saying that I switched to Apple because of all the minor problems I consistently had with Windows, but with Windows, it was just that, minor. I could always have the problem fixed within a day or two, as opposed to the now fifth hard drive I've had replaced with Macintosh, which has required two or more weeks each in the shop. Apple products are consistently more expensive than Windows products, and I expected that extra cost would offer some level of extra reliability with what I was purchasing.

nishi

i added your notes to a final paragraph. now we just have to tighten up the ending. it's too meander-y right now, although it makes all the right points.

<<Greetings.

I am writing directly to you to express my frustration and complete dissatisfaction with the service I have experienced with Macintosh products.

I bought my first ibook (insert model) (number) years ago and owned it for (number) years/months. During that time, it was in the shop on two separate occasions to have the hard drive replaced (was this under warrenty, Jason? If so, let's add that). When the hard drive tanked for the third time, I just gave up on the machine.

I purchased my current ibook (model) around a year ago at CompUSA, with a three-year AppleCare Warranty. The computer worked well until January, when the hard drive went out (for the first time). I returned the machine to CompUSA for repair; when it was returned to me as having been repaired, it was 'working', but would often freeze up, crashed a lot, and made odd sounds.

Then applications stopped running. I was using Mozilla, and it quit. I started using IE, and it quit. I switched to Safari (did it quit too?). Finally the computer completely died and wouldn't restart OSX. I attempted a reinstall and even a complete reformat, but it quit halfway through (the reinstall? The reformat?). Whenever I would try to start the computer, the hard drive would make beeping noises.

To say that I was frustrated at this point would be such a ridiculous understatement that it barely needs mentioning. However, I understand that machines sometimes go wrong – that's why I have a warranty.

I took it back to the shop and explained exactly what was wrong. The person at CompUSA mailed it off (I need a time frame for how long ago this was). I finally heard back from them yesterday. He told me that Apple had returned the computer to him without fixing the hard drive; they said the Ethernet plug was broken. I'm unsure why they were even looking at the Ethernet plug – as far as I know, there wasn't anything wrong with it. Yet. However, Apple says that it's broken and the plug isn't covered under my warranty.

The representative from CompUSA left me a message saying that he has reshipped the computer back to Apple, with a note to them to fix the hard drive.

I also had the rep at CompUSA send my AC adaptor with it – there have been problems with it as well. I have been through three adaptors on my two ibooks. They seem to break and short out easily – since they cost about $80 a piece, this is becoming something of a cash-suck.

Additionally, my battery that is supposed to have a four-hour life goes dead after about fifteen minutes. The CompUSA representative said he would put that in the notes that went back to Apple with the computer, but I'm beginning to wonder if the notes are even being read. (tempting to insert something about how hard drive and Ethernet plug both have "e"s and "h"s in them, although there the similarity ends.... But I will resist)

I am unsure of the problem. Apple makes great computers. That's why I keep buying them. I have a warranty that should be covering all these issues, but even if I didn't – the computer was less than a year old when things started going wrong with it. This is not the kind of product that Apple presents to the public and it's not at all what I expect from a mac. I expect reliability, longevity, ease of use and topnotch customer service. My expectations have not been met.

I would like to have this ibook completely replaced as I am not currently confident in the repair arm of your customer service team, and this computer is way too new to need this much work. I would also like some kind of explanation – a real explanation – about why associated things that should be working (the AC adaptor, the battery) are not working as they should be.

I would also like some kind of assurance that my faith in Apple products and service are still well-founded. That somehow I got a mediocre machine and then some kind of fluke error on the service end let me down. I have stood by your products – even purchasing another ibook after my previous machine had not performed well – and I hope that Apple still has a policy of standing by its customers. Currently, I am not experiencing that, but I am very much hoping that is a small blip on the radar or something.

I made the switch to Apple because of a long series of annoying minor problems I consistently had with Windows OS – but with PCs, it was just that. Minor. And software – not hardware.The problem was always fixed in a day or two. When I compare that to my fifth Macintosh hard drive – each of which has required two or more weeks in the shop – things are looking lopsided. Apple products are consistently more expensive than PCs, and I expected that extra cost would offer a higher level of reliability and relief from too many annoyances. No computer is without annoyance. Many computers function for years on a single hard drive, however.>>
-catchr

<- this is a prankapple.

ignom

I got my ibook back today. They replaced the hard drive AND the motherboard. And whatever was wrong with the ethernet plug seems to be fixed, I guess.

I still plan to send the letter, and I worked on it some yesterday. Mostly i italcized or bolded the important points. I agree that there needs to be an ending, and I've been thinking about that.

I still have to find the names of who it needs to be mailed it to.

i was wondering if the "completely replaced" part comes off as too demanding. I was originally just going to ask for a free copy of the new OS X Tiger.

They didn't even touch my power adapter. Since it's an old one, I'm tempted to take it back and complain that it worked when I brought it in with my computer.

ignom

I called customer support the other day and complained about the adaptor and they sent me a free one.

I tried to talk the guy out of a copy of OS X Tiger. That didn't work.

nishi

if they replaced all that (including the ethernet plug) and sent you a new adapter, i'd change the letter to say that this is the kind of service you had expected all along - and should have gotten.

instead of asking for a replacement, i would say something about the letter serving as documentation and that if anything else were to go wrong with the machine, that you feel it should be replaced. in the meantime, asking for a copy of os x tiger as compensation for your difficulties with their products and their service is probably not too much to expect.

mostly, at this point, i'd be asking why things are going so smoothly now when you couldn't get anyone to help you before, and then express your overall concern about the quality of mac products. they have temporarily addressed your concerns, but you are waiting to see how things work out in the long run.
-catchr

<- this is a prankapple.

Bishamonten

Quote from: nishi on May 09, 2005, 03:22:43 PM
if they replaced all that (including the ethernet plug) and sent you a new adapter, i'd change the letter to say that this is the kind of service you had expected all along - and should have gotten.

instead of asking for a replacement, i would say something about the letter serving as documentation and that if anything else were to go wrong with the machine, that you feel it should be replaced. in the meantime, asking for a copy of os x tiger as compensation for your difficulties with their products and their service is probably not too much to expect.

mostly, at this point, i'd be asking why things are going so smoothly now when you couldn't get anyone to help you before, and then express your overall concern about the quality of mac products. they have temporarily addressed your concerns, but you are waiting to see how things work out in the long run.

And tell them your internet buddy wants anal with that high chick they had in their commercial.