News:

Two rules to success in life: 1. Don't tell people everything you know.

Main Menu

Access Help

Started by Jessie, June 21, 2006, 10:08:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jessie

I'm setting up a database in Access. MY IT guy got me started but now he's gone to Alabama.  I want to set my form to have a dropdown list of job sites to choose from.  Anyone know how to do this?
we should have kept the quote pyramid up to rape Jessie in the face.

Alice

Yup.  Wait until the IT guy comes back.

Jessie

Alice

Bennyhana

Quote from: Jessie on June 21, 2006, 10:08:17 AM
I'm setting up a database in Access. MY IT guy got me started but now he's gone to Alabama.  I want to set my form to have a dropdown list of job sites to choose from.  Anyone know how to do this?

I've only worked a tiny bit with access, but if memory serves, you have to have a list of these things, then you have to make a dropdown list on your form (in form design view or whatever it's called), and have it reference that list.  Unfortunately, i totally can't remember the exact steps.

Jessie

Quote from: Bennyhana on June 21, 2006, 10:34:10 AM

I've only worked a tiny bit with access, but if memory serves, you have to have a list of these things, then you have to make a dropdown list on your form (in form design view or whatever it's called), and have it reference that list.  Unfortunately, i totally can't remember the exact steps.
I found how to make it a dropdown list, I just don't know how to make it grab said list.

Bennyhana

Quote from: Jessie on June 21, 2006, 10:35:41 AM

I found how to make it a dropdown list, I just don't know how to make it grab said list.

Damn.  Sorry.

Jessie

Quote from: Bennyhana on June 21, 2006, 10:40:25 AM
Quote from: Jessie on June 21, 2006, 10:35:41 AM

I lied.  Or I should say I was wrong.  I don't know wtf I'm doing.

Damn.  Sorry.

meredith

http://www.trigonblue.com/AccessLookup.htm

kinda roundabout if you're not used to such things.  what you need is a table assigning ID numbers to items

1 - Hickville
2 - Funkytown
et cetera

then instead of the job site field in the table you're working with containing text saying the name of the job site, it will have the number that corresponds to that job site

Jessie

Quote from: hatt on June 21, 2006, 11:35:11 AM
http://www.trigonblue.com/AccessLookup.htm

kinda roundabout if you're not used to such things.  what you need is a table assigning ID numbers to items

1 - Hickville
2 - Funkytown
et cetera

then instead of the job site field in the table you're working with containing text saying the name of the job site, it will have the number that corresponds to that job site
So how will anyone know what the number means?  *note:  I am at home and have not yet read the link you posted so my question may be stupid*

meredith

once you inform access of the relationship between JobSiteID in table A and JobSiteID in table B, it should automagically display the text name of the job site when you view table A

Jessie

Thanks, Matt.

My IT guy is going to remote in later and fix it.  Even easier!