News:

What happens if you get scared half to death twice?

Main Menu

Cable modem/wireless router network set up?

Started by Miss Molly, June 01, 2006, 11:23:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Miss Molly

I do not remember this being so difficult.  My roommate has a laptop, I have a desktop.  We are trying to get her a wireless connection

This is what I remember, and what I tried, and what did not work.

Coax connected into modem. 
Cat5 connected from my computer to the router in the "internet" slot.
Cat5 connecting modem "ethernet" slot to router "LAN1" slot.

Tried running network set up wizards on both computers, rebooting, all sorts of shit, nothing worked.  Yes she has a wireless card in her laptop.

What am I doing wrong?  I need simple, clear directions.

Infobahn

Generally, you have to get the service authorized on a direct connection to a machine, before you can hook any sort of router to it.

I would direct conect to whatever, make sure you use the authorization URL that they probably gave you, and get the connection active before throwing it on.  That has worked for my last two cable companies (as well as this DSL provider).

Miss Molly

I should add that all the lights lit up on the router correctly, and all EXCEPT "PC /Activity" lit up on the modem correctly.  If that makes a difference. 

Both our machines said there was a connection, but nothing would load.

Miss Molly

Quote from: Infobahn on June 01, 2006, 11:35:02 PM
Generally, you have to get the service authorized on a direct connection to a machine, before you can hook any sort of router to it.

I would direct conect to whatever, make sure you use the authorization URL that they probably gave you, and get the connection active before throwing it on.  That has worked for my last two cable companies (as well as this DSL provider).

Huh?  If by "authorized service" you mean "I pay for cable internet and my modem is registered and active" then that's already done. 

I have no clue what you are talking about with an authorization URL.  All my networking has always been pretty much "plug and play " and involved minimal set up (to my memory, I could be wrong here, it has been over a year since I configured one.  Even then it was using a different router and I had it wired since I don't have a wireless card on my machine).

Infobahn

You might be paid, and they tell you it is "on", but new service generally means that your cable modem needs to be acknowledged by the service, once it is attached to your side.

Miss Molly

Quote from: Infobahn on June 02, 2006, 10:28:05 AM
You might be paid, and they tell you it is "on", but new service generally means that your cable modem needs to be acknowledged by the service, once it is attached to your side.

I would not be on the internet right this very second if Cox didn't set up my internet service, which involved activating my modem, almost a month ago.  My service is paid, active, and acknowledged.  This is not the issue.

eo000

WileE

What model of router?  I have a Linksys, and you have to connect the modem to the WAN port.  Ports 1-4 are for PC's to connect to. 
Snakes on a mutha-f%$#in' plane!!!

"The Temple of Syrnix is havin' the bake sale of the year."

swolt

is your PC connected but not the laptop? I think that is what Info was getting at.

Is the laptop connecting to the router but not getting on the internet? are you getting any error messages?
A clever man commits no minor blunders.

BigDun

Your service might be PPoE which requires you to go into the WiFi Router's setup and set it to PPoE. Then in the same setup screen, enter the login name/password your broadband provider gave you. That's what I have to do with my BellSouth DSL.
16:26:25 [DownSouth] I'm in a monkey rutt

WileE

Cable doesn't have a login.

Molly, it is a new modem?  If so, you have to set it up with Cox.

Miss Molly

Quote from: WileE on June 02, 2006, 09:31:28 PM

Ohmyfreakinggosh I hope you are kidding me with this question.

Josh is my hero, that is all.

swolt

Quote from: Miss Molly on June 02, 2006, 10:38:32 PM

;D

Infobahn

Quote from: Infobahn on June 01, 2006, 11:35:02 PM

You're Welcome.

WileE

Quote from: Miss Molly on June 02, 2006, 10:38:32 PM

Nope...just trying to help.

Mr. Ubiquity

"if I wank to it, will u feel disgusted or flattered or a perverse combo of both?"

Miss Molly

I do thank everyone for their input.  Yes, Josh helped me set it up.  Apparently, the wiring was set up correctly, but I had to "Ping" because it's a dell router.  Something that I never would have figured out in a million years.

Info, I did not mean to completely discount the help you gave.  It just seems that you were giving instructions that didn't quite apply to my situation.  Not your fault.  I do thank you for the input though.

swolt

Quote from: Miss Molly on June 03, 2006, 11:13:20 AM
I do thank everyone for their input.  Yes, Josh helped me set it up.  Apparently, the wiring was set up correctly, but I had to "Ping" because it's a dell router.  Something that I never would have figured out in a million years.

Info, I did not mean to completely discount the help you gave.  It just seems that you were giving instructions that didn't quite apply to my situation.  Not your fault.  I do thank you for the input though.

ok I've been thinking about this last night and I feel like a total ass so I'll confess. pinging had nothing to do with fixing the problem. I lied. Sorry :(
when you plugged everything in and the lights on the cable modem and router came on it set itself up on it's own and starting working. my best guess is that you didn't have everything plugged in right the first time you tried it. In fact since the PC light wasn't on the on the modem the first time you tried it I know what you didn't have plugged in right.
anyway, I didn't want you to feel stupid for making a simple mistake so I spewed some technical jargon. That is a very bad habit I've gotten into doing tech support over the phone for so many years. I actually have to do that with some people because they refuse to believe that they made a mistake.
anyway I feel like a total ass for lying. Daniel called me on it last night. That's what friends are fore :)

so once again, sorry. You may all throw pies at me now.

Miss Molly

I say this is impossible.  I had everything connected EXACTLY as you instructed me over the phone, and it didn't work. 

What do you think wasn't connected correctly?

swolt

Quote from: Miss Molly on June 03, 2006, 05:36:41 PM
I say this is impossible.  I had everything connected EXACTLY as you instructed me over the phone, and it didn't work. 

What do you think wasn't connected correctly?

well not that it wasn't connected, I just think you either didn't power cycle the cable modem for long enough or out of sequence. If that happened the PC light would be off, which you said it was before. Also you hesitated when I asked if you had done that already, which led me to beleive you weren't really sure.

I could be wrong, but I've been doing this for a long time and those are things that normally happen :)

ReBurn

Quote from: swolt on June 03, 2006, 03:35:41 PM
Quote from: Miss Molly on June 03, 2006, 11:13:20 AM

ok I've been thinking about this last night and I feel like a total ass so I'll confess. pinging had nothing to do with fixing the problem. I lied. Sorry :(
when you plugged everything in and the lights on the cable modem and router came on it set itself up on it's own and starting working. my best guess is that you didn't have everything plugged in right the first time you tried it. In fact since the PC light wasn't on the on the modem the first time you tried it I know what you didn't have plugged in right.
anyway, I didn't want you to feel stupid for making a simple mistake so I spewed some technical jargon. That is a very bad habit I've gotten into doing tech support over the phone for so many years. I actually have to do that with some people because they refuse to believe that they made a mistake.
anyway I feel like a total ass for lying. Daniel called me on it last night. That's what friends are fore :)

so once again, sorry. You may all throw pies at me now.
Way to blow your super-hero image.  If you don't do anything, and it starts working anyway, it is totally acceptable to take credit for it.  It is in the techie credo that way.
11:42:24 [Gamplayerx] I keep getting knocked up.
11:42:28 [Gamplayerx] Er. OUT!

BigDun

Do not mess with Swolt's amazing PING power!
16:26:25 [DownSouth] I'm in a monkey rutt