News:

I went to the general store.  They wouldn't let me buy anything specific.

Main Menu

Browser Question

Started by Bennyhana, December 28, 2005, 01:05:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bennyhana

Okay, so, I'm attempting to look something up on the Real.com website about Rhapsody To Go (for which I purchased a device that the site led me to believe was compatible, when it was not).  However, since I'm on a mac, and Rhapsody To Go isn't available for Macs, I'm redirected to a "you can't look at that, we don't do rhapsody for macs, here are our other shitty products for mactards" page.  Is there something I can do in Firefox (or Safari, but this seems less likely) to make the site think I'm on a PC?  Or would it be easier to just wait until I get home?

eo000

yes, he's jewish. sandler said so. :D

Bennyhana

Gamplayerx

eo000

sorry, bennyhana. i have no answer to your question.

Mr. Ubiquity

just try it.   cant hurt.   youd just get a mactard page again i would guess.

but the site may be set to identify your mac's mac address and if it is then there is no way around it unless you use a router. 
"if I wank to it, will u feel disgusted or flattered or a perverse combo of both?"

Beefy

Quote from: eo000 on December 28, 2005, 01:26:11 PM
sorry, bennyhana. i have no answer to your question.

Don't be sorry, that was funny.

No idea, Benny.  Sorry.  Ignom is our resident Mac guy.

ReBurn

The site probably doesn't give a crap about the mac address.  The browser is probably what's ratting him out.
11:42:24 [Gamplayerx] I keep getting knocked up.
11:42:28 [Gamplayerx] Er. OUT!

Bennyhana

Quote from: Mr. Ubiquity on December 28, 2005, 01:32:59 PM

but the site may be set to identify your mac's mac address and if it is then there is no way around it unless you use a router. 

Try what?  Telling it I'm a Jew?  I still don't get the Adam Sandler joke, btw.

I can't get to the page I want because something is telling it I'm on a mac and redirecting me.  I suspect Reburn's right, but I don't know what in the browser I could change.  I went to about:config and looked for something that said "Mac" or "OSX" but I found nothing.

ReBurn

Quote from: Bennyhana on December 28, 2005, 01:38:21 PM

I can't get to the page I want because something is telling it I'm on a mac and redirecting me.  I suspect Reburn's right, but I don't know what in the browser I could change.  I went to about:config and looked for something that said "Mac" or "OSX" but I found nothing.
I don't know of any browsers that would let you change it.  Anytime you go to a webpage a bunch of crap gets sent over that the computer on the other end uses to decide whether it trusts you and what crap to send you back.  I think you're going to have to wait until you get to a winblows machine.

Alice

If you want, I can take screencaps for you of whatever it is you're wondering about.

Gamplayerx

The Chanukah song by Adam Sandler has a verse about Bowser from Sha Na Na being Jewish.

ReBurn

Quote from: Gamplayerx on December 28, 2005, 01:43:58 PM

The Chanukah song by Adam Sandler has a verse about Bowser from Sha Na Na being Jewish.
Hey Mr. Bass Man, you know all the songs...

Mr. Ubiquity

call me whatever you want but i saw this on the site when i looked it up.   What You Need

To get started with Rhapsody To Go, you will need:

A PC with Windows XP
The Rhapsody Jukebox software installed on your PC
A compatible MP3 player
"if I wank to it, will u feel disgusted or flattered or a perverse combo of both?"

ReBurn

Quote from: Mr. Ubiquity on December 28, 2005, 01:46:15 PM
call me whatever you want but i saw this on the site when i looked it up.   What You Need

A PC with Windows XP
A compatible MP3 player
I'll call you Shirley!

Beefy

Quote from: ReBurn on December 28, 2005, 01:47:08 PM
call me whatever you want but i saw this on the site when i looked it up.   What You Need

A PC with Windows XP
A compatible MP3 player
I'll call you Shirley!

DS will be relieved that the mantle has been passed.

DownSouth

Quote from: Beefy on December 28, 2005, 02:03:34 PM
Quote from: ReBurn on December 28, 2005, 01:47:08 PM
call me whatever you want but i saw this on the site when i looked it up.   What You Need

A PC with Windows XP
A compatible MP3 player
I'll call you Shirley!

DS will be relieved that the mantle has been passed.
Gamp's going to be pissed.
16:15:43 [Gamplayerx] Juneau, I could really go for some pie. You better Belize it!

Bennyhana

Thanks for the help, everyone, but I got in some other way.  The page in question was this one:

http://www.rhapsody.com/-devices?pageid=rotw.artistpage&pageregion=foote

Yeah, I bought the Samsa e130, the only player on that page that doesn't have the little "Rhapsody to go" graphic next to it.  Since I've already opened the product, I'm really pissed off that that's even a featured player, since it doesn't support the part of their service that deals with portable devices.  It took me an hour and a half to figure out why they were asking me to pay for tracks I was supposed to be able to transfer to it for free.  I asked them to pay for my restocking fee when I return it.  We'll see what they say.  I think that if they tell me to stick it in my ass, I'll go over to Napster (Who, by the way, are more clear about what devices support what).

Mr. Ubiquity

Quote from: Bennyhana on December 28, 2005, 02:20:58 PM
Thanks for the help, everyone, but I got in some other way.  The page in question was this one:

Yeah, I bought the Samsa e130, the only player on that page that doesn't have the little "Rhapsody to go" graphic next to it.  Since I've already opened the product, I'm really pissed off that that's even a featured player, since it doesn't support the part of their service that deals with portable devices.  It took me an hour and a half to figure out why they were asking me to pay for tracks I was supposed to be able to transfer to it for free.  I asked them to pay for my restocking fee when I return it.  We'll see what they say.  I think that if they tell me to stick it in my ass, I'll go over to Napster (Who, by the way, are more clear about what devices support what).

what u could do is just sthat.   stick it in your ass.  dont clean it. and send it back to them with a letter stating you did what they asked.  so your returning it as you purchased it. as a piece of shit.

ReBurn

Or you could drop it and tell them that it was broken when you got it.  Then get a new one and then the next day return that one unopened.

Bennyhana

Quote from: Mr. Ubiquity on December 28, 2005, 02:32:20 PM

what u could do is just sthat.   stick it in your ass.  dont clean it. and send it back to them with a letter stating you did what they asked.  so your returning it as you purchased it. as a piece of shit.

The problem there is that I bought the unit from Amazon, and I was happy with their service.  I got the item when they said I would (in plenty of time for Christmas), and I paid a nice, low price.  The unit itself isn't bad at all, it's just not supported by the service as I was led to believe.  I've emailed Amazon and asked them how much they would refund if I returned it.  I might end up selling the friggin' thing on Ebay.  <sigh>.

Mr. Ubiquity

Quote from: Bennyhana on December 28, 2005, 02:52:08 PM

The problem there is that I bought the unit from Amazon, and I was happy with their service.  I got the item when they said I would (in plenty of time for Christmas), and I paid a nice, low price.  The unit itself isn't bad at all, it's just not supported by the service as I was led to believe.  I've emailed Amazon and asked them how much they would refund if I returned it.  I might end up selling the friggin' thing on Ebay.  <sigh>.

naah, just buy a pc.   

Bennyhana

Quote from: Mr. Ubiquity on December 28, 2005, 03:14:05 PM

naah, just buy a pc.   

I have three at home.  It's only at work that they make me use a Mac.

Mr. Ubiquity

Quote from: Bennyhana on December 28, 2005, 03:35:44 PM

naah, just buy a pc.   

wouldnt it be easier to d/l and upload music at home then?

Bennyhana

Quote from: Mr. Ubiquity on December 28, 2005, 03:37:15 PM

naah, just buy a pc.   

Yes, if the player I bought was supported by the service.  As it is, I can only put tracks that I pay for individually on the unit.  The whole point of the Rhapsody-to-Go service is that you pay a subscription fee to put however many tracks you want on your device for as long as you have the service.

dazie

I was going to suggest "virtual PC" but it looks like you already figured out your issue.
"Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?"
I think so, Brain, but how will we get the Spice Girls into the paella?

Mr. Ubiquity

Quote from: Bennyhana on December 28, 2005, 04:04:53 PM
Quote from: Mr. Ubiquity on December 28, 2005, 03:37:15 PM

naah, just buy a pc.   

Yes, if the player I bought was supported by the service.  As it is, I can only put tracks that I pay for individually on the unit.  The whole point of the Rhapsody-to-Go service is that you pay a subscription fee to put however many tracks you want on your device for as long as you have the service.

ohh, im retarded  (shut up everyone).  i misunderstood thinking that your pc wasnt working properly, not the player itself.   ill stay out of it.

meredith

benny, you can try getting the User Agent Switcher extension for firefox.  it switches a bit of text that most web sites check to see your system info.  i don't know of a way to change it in safari.  if the page tries to actually do something windows-specific in order to check your system, you'll still get bumped out.