News:

20,000th post winners: ReBurninator and Dazie. Enjoy your diseases!

Main Menu

annoying install issue

Started by nishi, May 04, 2005, 08:28:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nishi

so, brought home an older but working box from the office. of course, it's been wiped clean and needs an operating system. at startup, with the win2K disk in the cd drive, it's not booting from the disk. i went in and checked to make sure that it recognizes the cd drive and that it's set up to boot primarily from the cd drive, but for some reason it's still not getting off its ass and getting going. anything else i should poke at, o great geeks?
"we left the motherland to settle a colony on Juntoo.  hats with belt buckles."
-catchr

<- this is a prankapple.

meredith

I'm going to assume that the disc does boot in other systems. :)  The BIOS may have a buggy El Torito (CD booting) implementation; have you tried to update it?

If you can't get it to boot that way, you can make a boot floppy set (4 floppies for Windows 2000) to start the install with. 

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/2000/server/reskit/en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/windows/2000/server/reskit/en-us/core/fndb_con_WKEH.asp

nishi

as far as i remember, the disc does boot other systems - i'm pretty sure that's the disc i used to install on my last computer.... but i'll be sure to check (that should be on the list right after 'is the computer plugged in?'....) - my in-town geek plays fast and loose with install cds sometimes. i may have ended up with a doubleungood one the last time he was shuffling discs at my house.

thanks for that suggestion and link - the computer does seem to want to jump to the floppy to boot, even though that's not in the boot-from queue....

<<The BIOS may have a buggy El Torito (CD booting) implementation>>

HOT!

i love geeks. i love them, i love them, i love them.
-catchr

<- this is a prankapple.

meredith

Quote from: nishi on May 04, 2005, 09:53:00 AM
HOT!

i love geeks. i love them, i love them, i love them.

* hattmoward does a goofy dance. *

DownSouth

16:15:43 [Gamplayerx] Juneau, I could really go for some pie. You better Belize it!

nishi

-catchr

<- this is a prankapple.

Beefy

ReBurn

11:42:24 [Gamplayerx] I keep getting knocked up.
11:42:28 [Gamplayerx] Er. OUT!

nishi

Quote from: Beef on May 04, 2005, 10:14:46 AM
Quote from: nishi on May 04, 2005, 10:04:36 AM
Quote from: DownSouth on May 04, 2005, 10:02:29 AM
*Jason cries*

i love you too. just for different reasons.

Pity?

no, DS i love for his snappy repartee. eo is the one i love out of pity, although i wasn't going to mention that until you brought it up....
-catchr

<- this is a prankapple.

eo000

cnamon

Quote from: eo000 on May 04, 2005, 11:38:45 AM
*sigh*
It's not your fault honey. 

Wait?  Who am I kidding?

It is totally your fault that you are loved out of pity.

nishi

-catchr

<- this is a prankapple.