News:

04/12/07 - Congrats to dots for snatching the real 200,000th post! Riding on her coattails, I guess we can spare some kudos to Jessie for the less real 200,000th post.

Main Menu

Ripped off by "automatic gratuity"

Started by ReBurn, February 21, 2006, 11:47:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ReBurn

On Saturday morning my wife and I took our kids and her parents to a local restaurant for breakfast.  The total bill was $40.44.  So when we were done I put a $10 bill on the table for a tip and I paid for the meal with my debit card.  Tonight I see that I was charged $48.54, which I assume was them adding 20% to my bill, even though my receipt says $40.44.  This kinda pissed me off.  Sure it is only 8 bucks, and the waitress probably could have used it.  But it was pretty low to charge me another 20% when I had already left more than that on the table.

I wouldn't be so annoyed if they had a sign posted that said they added a charge for parties of how ever many people, but they didn't have that.  They just charged me the gratuity anyway.  I feel like calling the restaurant and making them give me my $8.10 back.
11:42:24 [Gamplayerx] I keep getting knocked up.
11:42:28 [Gamplayerx] Er. OUT!

Dry then Catch

To make sure this never happens this is what I do...
undre the tip line i write

CASH[/size]

ReBurn

I'll have to do that in the future.  I've always drawn a line through the tip line when I leave cash on the table.

Jessie

The gratuity should have been added on to your bill, not your credit card receipt after the fact.

I'd call about it.  It's possible that the waitress altered teh credit card receipt.  We're prosecuting a girl for that very thing right now.

I had to call the cops on someone last night but I don't have time to tell that story now.
we should have kept the quote pyramid up to rape Jessie in the face.

DownSouth

I'd call.  I don't think that's legal without notification.
16:15:43 [Gamplayerx] Juneau, I could really go for some pie. You better Belize it!

Gamplayerx

I think it's normal practice to include the gratuity for parties over 5, but yeah, it would have already been on the tab.  Putting a charge through for more than you authorized is a big no no.  I'd call.

eo000

cnamon

I think it is standard practice for parties of 8 or more and it would be listed on the menu or somewhere in plain sight.  And the waitress has to add it to the bill before you sign for it, not after.

She also should have told you that gratuity was/will be added.  When I worked at Bennigan's, I would always circle the grat and the total if I had to add it to the bill. 

A lot of times, I would get double tipped anyway (hooray for short shorts!), but I made sure they knew.

Call the restaurant and complain.  ASAP.

Listener

A lot of places that have carryout service also have a tip line -- for example, Mama Fu's Asian House.  You can go inside and eat (a la fuddruckers) or you can pick it up and take it home.  Whenever I take it home, I make a visible scribble through the "tip" line and then rewrite the total on the "total" line.  When I leave cash, I write "on table" on the tip line.

I've never been hit for a gratuity quite like this, though.

meredith

If I'm not including a tip on the credit card transaction for some reason, I still leave it blank. heheh

cnamon

Quote from: hattmoward on February 22, 2006, 10:40:42 AM
If I'm not including a tip on the credit card transaction for some reason, I still leave it blank. heheh
That is breeding grounds for fraud.

Always put a zero, on table, or something on the tip line.  And keep a copy until you see that you have been charged the right amount.

I know that there are a lot of shady people in the food industry...especially those who work on tips.

Also, I will be damed if I order a drink with ice from any restaurants.  I see what goes on.

BigDun

Quote from: cnamon on February 22, 2006, 10:46:28 AM
Quote from: hattmoward on February 22, 2006, 10:40:42 AM
That is breeding grounds for fraud.

Always put a zero, on table, or something on the tip line.  And keep a copy until you see that you have been charged the right amount.

I know that there are a lot of shady people in the food industry...especially those who work on tips.

Also, I will be damed if I order a drink with ice from any restaurants.  I see what goes on.

What is wrong with the ice? Is it made from toilet water?
16:26:25 [DownSouth] I'm in a monkey rutt

cnamon

Quote from: BigDun on February 22, 2006, 11:34:18 AM
No, but a lot of servers will not use an ice scoop.  The just put the whole cup in the ice.  After their hands had been on the cup.  And some people like to eat ice straight from the ice bin.  I haven't had ice in a drink from a restaurant in almost 5 years.

meredith

Quote from: cnamon on February 22, 2006, 11:36:57 AM
Quote from: BigDun on February 22, 2006, 11:34:18 AM
No, but a lot of servers will not use an ice scoop.  The just put the whole cup in the ice.  After their hands had been on the cup.  And some people like to eat ice straight from the ice bin.  I haven't had ice in a drink from a restaurant in almost 5 years.

^ health code violations

In Indiana, metal scoops aren't allowed anymore either, it has to be plastic.

then there are places that just use an in-cup dispenser

ReBurn

This place didn't total the  bill until I got to the register.  But when I signed the receipt I marked through the line and re-wrote the total.  I'm going to call today, and if I don't get any satisfaction I'll take eo's advice.

cnamon

ReBurn

No.  I called them and alas, alack, they took care of it.  Very anti-climactic.

Dry then Catch

Quote from: ReBurn on February 27, 2006, 05:00:22 PM
No.  I called them and alas, alack, they took care of it.  Very anti-climactic.

talk about a let down,  i was on edge for a few days there.