News:

Do you all even read these?

Main Menu

Independence Day

Started by dazie, January 25, 2008, 09:55:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dazie

WARNING!  CONTAINS SPOILERS FOR BEEFY BECAUSE GAMP THINKS HE MAY NOT HAVE SEEN THIS 12 YEAR OLD MOVIE YET AND DOESN'T KNOW THE FIRST LADY DIES! SO DON'T TELL HIM!

Back in the day, 1996-97, I managed movie theatres in Flagstaff, Arizona.

My main theatre was the Orpheum.  One screen, 900 seats if we opened the balcony.

We opened the movie Independence Day on July 2, 1996 to sold out shows for a week.  What a fun movie! 

And then I showed it 3 x a day, every day until November.  (except for 2 weeks when it was at another manager's theatre)

God I hated that movie by then.  I knew every line, I knew every movement, every snafu, every scratch.  (I had old equipment- we lost a lot of prints)  I hadn't watched the movie since.

Well, I found it in a $5 bin at the grocery store the other day and figured what the heck.  We watched it tonight and damned if I didn't cry when the First Lady dies, when the Prez makes his big speech and when "Russell Casse" saves the day, just like I used to before I saw it a thousand times.  What a fun movie.
"Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?"
I think so, Brain, but how will we get the Spice Girls into the paella?

ReBurn

I love Independence Day. I just hate what happens to poor Commander Data.
11:42:24 [Gamplayerx] I keep getting knocked up.
11:42:28 [Gamplayerx] Er. OUT!

dazie

I thought Kate was going to wet herself when that happened.  *lol*

Bennyhana

BigDun

Quote from: dazie on January 25, 2008, 09:55:55 PM
...and damned if I didn't cry when the First Lady dies, when the Prez makes his big speech and when "Russell Casse" saves the day...

Me too.
16:26:25 [DownSouth] I'm in a monkey rutt

Gamplayerx

You know, it's just common courtesy to put spoiler tags if you're going ruin an entire movie for people! 

I'm kidding. 

dazie

Quote from: Gamplayerx on January 26, 2008, 07:15:37 PM
You know, it's just common courtesy to put spoiler tags if you're going ruin an entire movie for people! 

I'm kidding. 

There.  Better?  ;)

Gamplayerx

Hahahaha!

I have seen it, though.  I was just looking out for Beefy.

Beefy

I've never even heard of that.

dazie

Well crap.  I spent all that time modifying the post.  Twice. 

Beefy

Isn't that with Al Pacino?

ReBurn

11:42:24 [Gamplayerx] I keep getting knocked up.
11:42:28 [Gamplayerx] Er. OUT!

dazie

Quote from: ReBurn on January 26, 2008, 08:19:20 PM
Quote from: Beefy on January 26, 2008, 07:42:11 PM
Isn't that with Al Pacino?
I think it's Dudley Moore.

You guys are WAY off.

It's Paul Williams.

Alice

Oh my god.  That movie is 12 years old?  That makes me feel old.

DownSouth

WARNING!  CONTAINS SPOILERS FOR BEEFY BECAUSE GAMP THINKS HE MAY NOT HAVE SEEN THIS 12 YEAR OLD MOVIE YET AND DOESN'T KNOW THE FIRST LADY DIES! SO DON'T TELL HIM!

My main theatre was the Orpheum.  One screen, 900 seats if we opened the balcony.

We opened the movie Independence Day on July 2, 1996 to sold out shows for a week.  What a fun movie! 

And then I showed it 3 x a day, every day until November.  (except for 2 weeks when it was at another manager's theatre)

God I hated that movie by then.  I knew every line, I knew every movement, every snafu, every scratch.  (I had old equipment- we lost a lot of prints)  I hadn't watched the movie since.

Well, I found it in a $5 bin at the grocery store the other day and figured what the heck.  We watched it tonight and damned if I didn't cry when the First Lady dies, when the Prez makes his big speech and when "Russell Casse" saves the day, just like I used to before I saw it a thousand times.  What a fun movie.
16:15:43 [Gamplayerx] Juneau, I could really go for some pie. You better Belize it!

Beefy

Quote from: DownSouth on January 28, 2008, 10:33:20 AM

dazie

Won't anyone please think of the bandwidth?